Saturday, April 23, 2011

My homework star

Maisie really is a little star when it comes to her homework.  As a general rule homework is done as soon as we get home from school.  The main reason for this is that on Monday and Wednesday between arriving home from school and walking out the door for gymnastics we only have 75 minutes, so NOT a lot of time.  Then by the time we return home from her three hour practice it’s already 7PM so it’s dinner, washing up and into bed, just too late to be thinking about homework.  Maisie only attends school Monday through Thursday and sometimes on Thursday we’ll have a play date, go somewhere or do something special after school so then homework will get put off until our at-home school time on Friday morning. 

This past Thursday Maisie had her school Easter egg hunt right at the end of the school day and I think that she had a bit too much sugar and hit the wall as she was tired when we arrived home so we decided to put off homework until Friday morning.  Most days Maisie sits down and does her work at the kitchen island while I’m doing my thing in the kitchen.  She likes that I’m around but not right next to her as she prefers to do her homework independently and only calls me over when she has questions or wants me to check something.  Yesterday though she said that she wanted to do her homework in her bedroom so she took everything in there and disappeared.  I was busy working on a few things and then got involved in something else and I realized that I hadn’t heard a peep out of Maisie in a very long time.  I really hadn’t heard *any* noise from her so my first thought was that she had fallen asleep in her room or was playing extremely quietly so I very quietly went to take a look.  I just had to grab my camera because what I found was my little sweetie sitting at her table working away. 

IMG_6723Such a big girl working hard and what I love is that she didn’t notice me until she heard the click of the camera.

IMG_6739Maisie’s class has been working on writing seven sentence two-point expository paragraphs by first writing an outline and then the paragraph but the assignment from Thursday was to write the paragraph without first doing the outline.  The paragraph above is what Maisie handed me when she finished her homework.  Can I tell you how much I *love* her teacher Miss Lisa because Maisie is just learning so much!

In addition to the paragraph Maisie independently completed fifty-four math problems, two short “complete the story” paragraphs, she matched some antonyms and homonyms, read part of a story and answered seven comprehension questions and classified three sentences marking the nouns, verbs, articles, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, object of the preposition, complete object and complete predicate. 

Like I said, Maisie is a star!!

I can’t believe that her school year is almost over, only three weeks until summer break, on my!!

SpringFling[10]

Day twenty-three in my quest to post 30 days in a row as I’m participating in M3’s Spring Fling! 30 posts in 30 days. I’m really enjoying posting everyday and I know someday when I go back and read through this it will be fun to see so many posts.  I still have some post ideas and I thank those people who have sent questions or ideas but if anyone has more suggestions or ideas on blog topics or things you’d like to know, please leave them in the comments or shoot me an email.  Thank you for following along with Moments with Maisie and we love all the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:17 AM

    You are blessed that Maisie loves learning and is so driven to do her work. Homework in our house is a daily struggle and takes hours of arguing and fighting because the girls fight it.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from M3 and the girls, is Maisie's class doing Shurley grammar by chance? The writing assignment looks so familiar. We used that at the private school I taught at, now I use it for homeschooling with my own kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails